7/27/08

Perky Pie Potholder


This is Arlene, our favorite pie maker, modeling her new Perky Potholder. Coffee, pie, cookies...I really could live there.

In between pies, it was a busy weekend. Cora cashed in her birthday (the big 1-oh) "outing," which was a pasta making party. She came Friday night, so we had a "campfire" and roasted marshmallows (I was not aware that a 10-year-old could put away so many marshmallows). We also went farmer's marketing, bike riding, putzed around by the dam and went on a kayak trip with Roland and Amy. I for one am exhausted. Photos coming soon. And that was just Saturday.


Sunday Lenore and I went on a bike picnic (dad joined us), a bike coffee run, and biked to and from Ace Hardware a couple of times in search of lamp parts. Lenore oversaw the rewiring of my art deco (?) floor lamp, which we think is pretty old because it had asbestos insulation on the wires. Yeeks. Anyway, it works! Thanks to Roland for getting us started by handily ripping out the socket thingee that the light bulb screws into and then saying, "you can fix that, it's easy!" on his way out the door. ;)

Bread baking experiments continued with 2 regular sourdough loaves (no rye) and another Russian black bread, which I think is going to be the winner in my quest to create a bread machine recipe that resembles the Latvian rye bread I love. I'll post the recipe once it's tweaked. I suppose it's a little ironic, since Latvians are no fan of Russians. I shall have to rename the loaf. Dark Dundee Rye perhaps. The DDR bread doesn't require sourdough starter, however, so now I'm stuck with all this starter that I feel obligated to feed and nurture. Maybe I can sell it on ebay.

Tomorrow's my last Monday off...and my new kayak paddle is due to arrive. I'll be waiting impatiently for the mail person...

1 comment:

  1. "campfire" - great teaser! ensures i'll be checking back often for the "visual".

    ReplyDelete