7/15/08

Last of the Harvest


Joules came over to pick a few more cherries, complete with an official harvesting apron. Note action shot of cherry falling into said apron. It's a splendid accessory, and I want one.


I am doing serious battle with the Japanese beetles, which, when not chewing leaves and shamelessly fornicating, are competing mightily for the last remaining cherries. Sadly, I am losing. I've tried spraying the tree with soapy water (read it on the internet, so it's gotta be true!) but all that resulted in was clean, screwing beetles. I seriously considered a dose of Sevin, but then bought a JB trap instead, which, come to find out later, is not a good idea, because it can attract more beetles to your yard than are actually trapped.


A raccoon made short work of my trap anyway -- I found it all chewed up, not a beetle carcass to be found. The kit came with 2 bags, so I hung the second bag, but I think I'm gonna take it down tonight. I've also read that the dead beetles stink mightily and can be a deterrent, so maybe I'll make a JB smoothie and spray that on the tree (also said to be a remedy). Then again, maybe not. That's just gross.

Cue the Barry White music...


I used the last of the cherries to make some cherry bounce. It's basically cherries (unpitted), sugar, and booze. This batch should be ready just in time for Christmas. I did some with vodka and one jar with whiskey. Hopefully it turns out and doesn't make anyone go blind.

2 comments:

  1. you and your cherry bounce are coming to williamsburg, va for christmas, aren't you? the jars look delightful and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete