7/18/08

In the Market for a Captain's Hat...


Roland sent me a Craig's List link to this inflatable kayak. I got it for $40 bucks with a paddle. Now I can marry people! I just ordered a rudder thingee (a skeg), which I think (based on reviews) will help greatly in tracking. If the weather holds, I'll try it out (sans rudder) this weekend. I need to get a life vest for Hoops! Film at 11.



On the job front (but having nothing to do with work), there is a ginormous fiber arts festival starting today at the college. I'm told it will involve llamas, so I hope to meet one before I go home. I can tell you that hundreds of fiber arts vendors packed throughout the hallways of a small, and it turns out, not very well ventilated community college makes for an interesting olfactory experience. Or, as co worker Jesse noted (none too quietly), "It smells like butt!"

Update: No llamas, but there will be alpacas on Saturday. The photo above is the only one I was able to see today. Rats.

Here are probably two too many pictures of wool. But I thought they looked neat.



The corn roaster in the food area sports a face!


Other weekend plans include a Chicago Bandits game, buying more southern IL peaches at the farmer's market (they are SO good) and seeing Wall-E and Batman. Lenore won't watch Batman with me, though, so I think I'll have to recruit my dad. I will also try some experiments with rye bread. Tom and Ingrid sent some Latvian rye bread home with Lenore for me, and it's SO good. I'm trying to come as close as I can to a bread machine version of Latvian rye bread without actually taking two days to make it. My first attempt is in the machine right now -- it's a sourdough rye bread recipe using an overnight sourdough starter recipe I found in the Internet. I don't have much experience (OK, any) with sourdough starters and what not, so this is a new genre of bread to be sure. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Brynne had a hard time telling whether it was Pete or the alpacas crying. They make a strange sound. We are pretty sure one of the alpacas tried to chew Brynne's skirt. Out in the open, no smell. Get in the car, it smelled like someone with really foul breath had been chewing burnt tobacco. We will forever be using this as a reference - something smells as bad as alpaca spit. Fun day. Pat

    ReplyDelete