
I was pretty pleased with loaf two because it rose nicely and has a good rye flavor as well. However, again, not so strong on the sourdough. I think I need to let my starter ferment a little more. The texture is nice, but it's not the dense chewy bite I'm looking for.

Back to the drawing board. As I type this, I've got a Russian rye loaf going and some starter bubbling on the counter that I'll use in the morning. The pumpernickel's got a lot goin' on: cider vinegar, instant coffee, onion, coco powder and apple cider, which I didn't have so I substituted cranberry juice (!). Plus it's got sesame seeds, caraway seeds, 3 different flours and wheat germ in it. If nothing else, the squirrels will be getting a wholesome treat in the morning.
Update:
Wow, the Russian rye turned out great. It's pretty close to what I'm after. I've incorporated some of the ingredients -- coffee, coco, and vinegar -- into the sourdough rye recipe, so I' hope that one turns out as well. Here's a picture of the Russian rye:
do you really work full time?
ReplyDelete