
I had these great little cookies at a party and decided they might be easy to convert into something healthy ... maybe even add some of that infamous whey protein powder to ... though I've since sent that powder back from whence it came. After a couple of trials, Paula's Power Balls were born. Thanks to my co worker, Donna, who named them! My other co worker, Craig, just thought it was funny that we were talking about my balls ... but that's another story. Also, thanks to Jesse who was brave enough to try them at lunch even though they're healthy and "look like something you dug out of Hoops' litter box."
Here's the original recipe. It is of course delicious – what's not to like?
No-Bake Eskimo Cookies
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbs. water
1 tsp. vanilla
3 Tbs. cocoa
2 cups quick-cooking oats
Powdered sugar
Beat softened butter until fluffy. Add sugar and beat. Add water, vanilla and cocoa and blend. Mix in oats. Refrigerator overnight, or you can speed up the process by putting in freezer for 15 minutes or so) Shape into 36 balls. Roll in powdered sugar. Store in refrigerator.
Here's the modified version. These are good for post work-out snacks or even breakfast. I cut the recipe to 1/3 of the original because I didn't want to waste ingredients if they were hideous. You can double or triple amounts – this version provides a good sample. If you don't like peanut butter, you can also make these with just Smart Balance (light or regular). I didn't have any nuts for the cookies pictured here, so I just chopped up some trail mix (hence the craisin bits!).
Paula’s Power Balls
¼ cup natural peanut butter or almond butter
¼ cup Smart Balance light margarine
¼ cup honey or agave syrup (or use 1/8 cup and then about 6 packets of stevia)
1 heaping Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
1-2 Tbs. brown rice protein powder
1 Tbs. of wheat germ
¼ tsp. or so of vanilla
About ¾ cup of quick cooking oats
A little water as needed (if needed)
Finely chopped nuts
Beat peanut butter and Smart Balance together till well blended and soft. Mix everything else in except the nuts. Refrigerate overnight or freeze about 15 minutes. Form into balls and then roll in chopped nuts or additional cocoa powder. Store in refrigerator. Makes about 14 balls.
Wish I had some of your power balls to take paddling w/ me this a.m. - we're taking the 6 man outrigger around Sullivan's Island! This is where the "no bake" concept gets questionable - will they return to the mush from whence they came sitting in the Charleston heat before I eat them?
ReplyDeleteHmmm...possible. The original name involved "Eskimo," so maybe this is not suitable for southern noshing (unless it's done in the a/c!) However, you could always pack 'em with a spoon!
ReplyDeletePower Balls.
ReplyDeleteI love your power balls.
'nuf said.