


Shown here are a couple of commissions from mom as well as the last gift-with-a-cookbook-purchase (the July Internet special...which will probably be extended into August) for high school friend Sue. I'm really liking these cotton loops from Harrisville Designs.

The back story on this lovely specimen is fascinating, so you might want to get a drink. Notice it is in the colors of the Miami Dolphins. I was reminded of the Miami Dolphins when I pulled this "vintage" sweatshirt out of my closet (cold July nights donchaknow...and I'm not complaining).

It's the last hand-me-down I've still got from Odie (who probably outgrew it when he was in 5th grade), and despite its age (and mine), it is relatively intact and still fits just great.
Sidenote: I just learned that this was a replica of sorts of Joe Namath’s Superbowl III jersey in which he did something newsworthy – grand slam, hat trick, something like that.
Anyway...it reminded me of another fabulous hand-me-down that is no longer with me: a very stylish (circa 1974 maybe?) zip-up Miami Dolphins sweater, complete with a white zipper and white-ring zipper pull. I know!! Sweet! Actually, we both got one for Christmas. I was at that time a Miami Dolphins fan because A. I liked dolphins B. I liked the colors orange and turquoise together. C. Odie approved (that I liked that team, I never told him my logic). He was in his Pittsburg Steelers phase, which I never understood, because their helmets had what looked like Chicklets gum on them (lame!) and the colors? Bleach. But I digress. Sadly, I grew out of my sweater relatively quickly (those were the days when I was still growing), but by the time I stopped growing (in around 5th grade, if memory serves), Odie's sweater fit me just fine. It was like a two for one deal!
Which brings me back to my #12 sweatshirt, because I think I inherited it (I use the term loosely – sometimes hand-me-downs ended up in my dresser before there was any actual handing) about the same time I inherited the sweater, and it reminded me of that warm feeling of wardrobe richness welling up inside me when I gazed at all my pilfered tomboy couture, so I had to make a potholder to commemorate the moment. I wonder what ever happened to that sweater. I miss it.
Epilogue
OMG! It was a lot like this one – I would totally buy this on ebay, but it's a size one. This one isn't a zip-up, but it's got the same white stripes on the sleeves and the cool sewed-on patch.
Actually it is the N.Y.Jets colors so the Namith characterization is correct. Unfortunately I do not recall the shirt or the dolphins sweater. I think I bumped my head 1 too many times. Come to think of it does anyone know my real name, i can't recall...lol
ReplyDeleteYes, I can tell you your name and also, don't forget that $10 grand you owe me too, remember?
ReplyDelete