This is the rock garden, just prior to getting completely out of control (click photos to enlarge). Quite a difference from May to June to now.


Note the slow disappearance of Pooh and Piglet -- sure signs of ominous music to come.


The vegetable side of things...not so prolific.

Yes, that's a (spindly) tomato growing under the windmill, not a weed. I'm enjoying the kale in morning "green smoothies," but that's about the only harvesting, save one beet (of two) that got roasted, greens and all.
The eggplant plants are growing, but have yet to produce more than a blossom or two. My new rhubarb, however, is looking good! I may forgo the year waiting period and pick some. The other development is the melon patch I was looking forward to, which turned out to be spaghetti squash.

Lenore and I ate a squash last night for dinner with salsa on top (delish), and it looks like I'll get at least two more if the critters don't overly accost them first. Here is one now bearing the wounds of an overzealous squirrel or raccoon, it's hard to say.

Also, I'm not sure why they are white. Every spaghetti squash I've ever met has been yellow. Perhaps this is the albino version.
As for tomatoes, little to no action. I continue to buy them at the market, because mine are all tiny and green, except for some cherry tomatoes in pots, which the squirrels also seem to enjoy batting about. Any one got a good recipe for squirrel stew?
You need to call CSI in on that spaghetti squash casualty. That's the freakiest face I've seen you post. I'll have nightmares over that 1.
ReplyDeleteMe too! And the squash has since grown quite a bit in a short time, so the face is transmorgifying! Yikes!
ReplyDeleteUm....I don't see pooh, piglet, eyeore, Christopher Robin....are you SURE they are in there? I'm thinking the white squash is really an alien space pod and that the poor cartoon characters are within.....
ReplyDelete