
So I think I mentioned that Lenore and I walked up to Starbucks just about every day over xmas break. It's a decent walk -- across town to the footbridge, over the river, up two big hills and down the street. It helps us justify the luxury. And I was using gift cards... 'til they ran out. Then I paid cash, with dripping nose and shaking hands. No, I'm not proud to admit that I became completely addicted to a daily tall decaf soy latte with one squirt of sugarfree gingerbread syrup. It's almost as fun to order as it is to drink. So imagine my dismay when I discovered the SCAM Starbucks was running with these so-called "seasonal" beverages! It's not enough that they can get saps like me to pay over $3 for a stupid cup of coffee (albeit creamy, sweet, frothy and oh so good..). No, come to find out they actually charge MORE for a gingerbread latte (by name) than they do a regular latte of any other flavor! WTF?! I found this out because I usually order like this:
"A tall decaf soy latte, and just one squirt of sugar free gingerbread."
Since the perky barista people tend to punch in the orders as you go, they just entered the latte with the extras (soy and syrup). HowEVER, yesterday I noticed all the festive red holiday cups and menu boards were gone, so I asked if they still had gingerbread lattes and the guy said no, but they did still have some sugar free syrup left, and I was all, "SWEET! That's what I want anyway!" So he punched in "gingerbread latte," added the soy, yadda yadda, and it came up $4.21. $4.21!!! For a SMALL drink?! I was like, "WHAT?" Well, actually, I paid him, then it registered, so then the deconstruction of my order had to begin, with manager involvement, voiding of the input, refunding of my sweaty bills, and all they could come up with was, "Huh. Well, it must cost more because it's a seasonal drink." OH. OK then. That makes perfect sense...if you're a MORON! Is it not enough that they charge, as I think I mentioned, saps like me over $3.00 for a small coffee beverage? They have to charge even more for...what? A holiday named beverage?
The guy was actually very nice and offered to ring it up the "non special" way, but by then I was too miffed and in the throes of withdrawal. So I got a simple tall decaf soy latte with a side of several deep breaths.
And this scene from Shrek 2, which makes me laugh. I wonder if the giant gingerbread man likes gingerbread lattees...or is that a form of cannibalism.
I'm with Mongo, an empty cup of coffee is SO sad. The only time a cup is half empty for me.
ReplyDeleteI agree, it's a scam but it's all about added "value". It's how they take 4 cents worth of corn and turn it into a $4 box of cereal. You're paying for the privilege of saying "Gingerbread latte" to a complete stranger and not having them call Security.
ReplyDelete