We made a sumptuous NY strip steak dinner to celebrate Father's Day with our dads -- Tom is here for the week to help Lenore through the first IP treatment and, as it turns out, bake bread. We like hired help that can bake (and doesn't charge for his services either). I wish I could show you the delicious rosemary loaf he baked for dinner. I should have given him his Father's Day potholder sooner!
Sunday I dusted off my road bike and went for an almost 20-mile ride early, before it got too hot. Almost 20 sounds longer than 18, don't you think? My road bike is really light and peppy...it's kind of like riding Sea Biscuit instead of Clarence the mule. But it's not as comfy as Clarence, at least not early in the season, so I didn't go that far. On the way back, a VERY tall biker (I think I could have rested my chin on the crossbar of his bike) dropped in front of me, so I drafted behind him for quite a ways, which was great fun, since I don't usually go that fast (about 18-20 m.p.h) for that long. He said he was "only riding 100 miles today," and had about 50 to go. I would have continued, but hey, I had hostas to plant and weeds to pull! (Thank God) Plus, I think it's kind of rude to be a wheel sucker without asking, which is exactly what I was. I promise to somehow pay it forward soon.
Well, turns out I do have a couple of photos. These were taken with the little camera on Lenore's laptop computer during her chemo session. I had to hold the computer up and hope for the best. They turned out pretty good all things considered.

Here's Lenore getting her direct deposit. It took about 1.5 hours per bag with a potty break in between. Each bag was one liter (!), plus some additional saline for good measure. You can see in the next picture how big the bags are. Lenore didn't make any sloshing noises when she was done, even when I changed lanes on the drive home.

Below is what Laura e-mailed to the family yesterday after we called her w/a progress report from the hospital. She feels very bloated today, but so far no nausea or major discomfort. The nurse said Lenore would feel like "you're 8 or 9 mos. pregnant," but since neither of us has experienced that joyful sensation, it wasn't too helpful! She is not blown up like a pregnant lady at least, just sort of "thick" around the middle. I imagine all that fluid is what makes your insides feel like there's a being floating around in there.
Lenore's therapy is underway a bit late due to pharmacy delays.
The first of 2 liters of warmed-up (to her body temperature) chemicals was started about noon Midwestern time and it will take up 1-1/2 hours per liter. Lenore is comfortable and is watching episodes of Columbo on DVD. Hopefully all that mid-century fashion and home furnishings will keep her mind off any discomfort that may occur. Dad and Paula are with her so she seems to have plenty of distractions.
Be careful with that personal breadmaker of yours. He gets very territorial about his breadmaking space. But the results make it all good.
ReplyDeleteLenore looks too happy to be getting chemo.