7/3/11

Garden Visitors


(Baby was still kind of wobbly!)

So the other day, I started out my back door only to see these not-so-welcome visitors under my cherry tree. Admittedly, they were fun to see, and the fawn was SO cute, but they are just way to destructive to my tiny garden. I've already lost a few hostas to deer, so after admiring mom and baby, I politely asked them to leave. Not really. Mom took off when I made to come out the back door, and baby hunkered down in the black eyed Susans. According to dad, baby deer have no scent, so prey can't detect them if they hide and hold real still. So...I guess that's what they do while mom does her best to distract any threat by running off. This afforded the opportunity for some close-up photos, and I even reached out a finger and petted the little guy/gal. Very sweet! Mom, who was just a couple backyards away, came back as soon as I left and collected her offspring.





So...deer in the garden, chipmunks in the dryer vent, raccoon family under the shed...it's like the flippin' wild kingdom over here these days.

I also put up a couple new bird houses, which were immediately occupied. And the squirrels...grrr...they continue to wreak havoc.

But the garden is doing relatively OK despite all the onslaughts. I need to take some pictures to show progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment