8/28/07

Holy $#%^&@!

I came home to downed trees, flooding and a basement full of about 3 feet of raw sewage Thursday. I could go on and on about how *&%^#-ing inept the village has been in helping residents deal with it all (hey, they did pump my neighbor's basement of sewage into my yard, thank you very much, so I got my garden fertilized). The town still looks like a disaster area. What's most frustrating is the village knew this backup was going to happen and didn't tell anyone. Not a peep of communication to homeowners, so most people lost everything. I was lucky in that I didn't have all that much stored in my basement, but it looks like I'll have to replace my water heater, washer, dryer and boiler. I may have to raise the price of my potholders. I haven't got much more time to write because I've got pumps going in the basement that need 'round the clock monitoring. I have an idea what new parents go through getting up every couple of hours, only I think this is probably much less gratifying. Lenore's been a huge help with squeegee duty and moral support, and my mom fed us several meals. I'll try to post some pics, but it doesn't always work as well from a mac. On a brighter note, both my swing and windmill survived the onslaught. And all the neighbors have been helping each other, which is heartening. Minor but still a bummer is my cable tv wire was ripped off the pole, and when the guy came to fix it, he noticed I didn't have a filter, so now I am only getting the few channels that come with basic service, so no more food channel, CL TV or weather. :( I may just cancel it altogether.











4 comments:

  1. Food from Paula's parents gave us the energy to get through the night and day water level patrol. We know a pool would not work well in the basement or the back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a disaster! I am so sorry to see this devastation. did the canoe float away?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ew, & yuck, & ouch, & squint eyes, & i am so sorry & hang in there.
    pot holders made of 100% sea sponge?
    you can forget your woes while you make my tie-dyed shirt. kidding. wait until you're ready - i don't want you to make it and then use it to wipe up the raw sewage.
    i'll put "paula for mayor" signs up on my my space when you are ready.
    hope hoops is handling the chaos ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments – it’s been rather exhausting, and OMG, what a huge effing mess! I’m so ready to move!
    And, sadly, I can’t do any tie dying ‘til my sewer system is working again! We have to flush and run water VERY sparingly, because the pipes are still fuller than my basement, probably by about 5 feet. Lovely, eh? I’m not sure when I’ll ever be able to take the plugs out of my floor drains. Maybe never. We’re still pumping water, but it’s clear ground water at least (which then gets contaminated running across my cesspool of a floor…) I won’t go into detail about what I squeegeed out of one of the little storage rooms. Makes me gag just thinking about it. I am taking bleach baths daily. Hoops is staying over at Lenore’s. She’s locked up in the guest room since Xena isn’t into sharing (understandably so!). We went to the Laundromat and washed Hoops’ starfish beanbag bed with lots of soap and bleach (since it was floating along with other things I won’t mention), so she’s all set with her private suite and open window overlooking the street. I think she’s pretty lonely, but we try to visit her as much as we can. She’s happy about that for about 5 minutes, then she gets distracted by something outside and is all, “oh, are you still here? Hmm.”

    ReplyDelete