5/9/11

Deutschen Unterhaltung


Es war ein Wochenende der deutschen Unterhaltung. Und die Toten Kerl gewonnen.* Not that Sacha Baren Cohen isn’t brilliant, because he definitely carries the gene. It’s just hard to compete with a triple concerto (played by the Elgin Symphony). Some of which was played on a Stradivarius from 1708 (on loan from Samsung to amazing violinist Chee-Yun). All I can say is wow – I don’t know why the triple (as I like to call it) isn’t performed more often, because it really is spectacular. At least to someone who never got past book III in piano lessons (can I help it my teachers kept dying?). While the ESO performance isn’t on YouTube (that I know of), check out this version if you want to hear some. (This is part I of II) I should note I skipped watching MMA fights with my karate friends for this, and I am OK with that.



As for Bruno...it definitely ranks high for shock value. Subtle it’s not, but honestly, there were parts that were so concentrated in humor and other so sublime in their satire, I needed some time to reflect and laugh later. I mean that in a good way. Cohen is most definitely dedicated to his jokes. And, as one reviewer noted, [Homophobia] deserves confrontation, but when done in the manner of the movie here, it is less enlightening than it is just plain squirmingly funny. Also, "The only thing Cohen can do is to throw the character's sexuality in people's faces, but there are several brilliant sequences of baiting and utilizing American gay panic that really hit the satirical button." Yeah, what he said. (gayby ... haha)



The African "gayby" he traded for an iPod...and named OJ.

Speaking of gay...behold the season’s first nosegay! (s)
Two for the price of one! The grape hyacinths are going to town, and a few brave soldiers have even migrated out into the lawn. Also, much to my delight, a few of the alliums have survived squirrel onslaughts and are being borned as we speak.

OK, technically not a nosegay, but Pliget is back in the garden! Along with Pooh, the Speedy Family (turtles) and the Normans (gnomes).



I'm not sure how the garden is going to go this year. Spring seems to be passing us by with little in the way of actual warmth. I bought a few plantlings at the school’s annual sale, but I’m not sure they’re hearty enough to brave the elements just yet. I did harvest one, count 'em, ONE sprig of asparagus. Yum. I ate it raw as I was walking into the house. Sadly, that may be the extent of that crop. It was worth a try.

Odie's home (I’m told) for an early mom’s day outing, which works out well for me, as my sweet new propane generator arrived, but, while it’s billed as "portable," it’s over 100 lbs. So I need brother muscle to move this sucker…where I’m not sure. I still need to hook up the propane tank and test it out. With this purchase, I think I’m pretty much guaranteed the power will not ever go out again. Priceless? We’ll see. I just hope the damn thing works.



This is how it came -- I hope that's not going to be a problem.



*It was a weekend of German entertainment. And the dead guy won.

No comments:

Post a Comment