5/19/10

Whirlywind Weekend



Every now and then a most excellent bargain on a treasure you never knew you needed crosses your path. Like this fabulous Whirly-Pop popcorn maker, which I found at the Farmer's Market last week. And guess how much I paid for it? A dollar! ONE DOLLAR. According to "the Google," they retail for $22+, so I'm feeling mighty smug. I had given up on microwave popcorn due to all the chemicals, so this is a happy alternative to scorching a saucepan of oil laden kernels over the burner. With the beloved Whirly Pop, kernels are done popping in about three minutes in as little as 1 tsp. of oil. Giddyup!




Joules, her neighbor and I also caravanned out to my co worker's homestead for some organic compost. How much poo can you fit in a Mini Cooper? About 10 kitty litter buckets, that's how much. One of Julie's neighbors did a double take and asked, "Wow, what kind of cat do you have?!" to which I replied, "A lion, why?"



The source: George (up close) and Annie (in the distance). Their deposits are combined in compost bins with household scraps for a delicious blend that is savory with fruity undertones and a clean finish.



Dad helped me get it all tilled into my humble little garden plot. Thanks again to Dave and Kathy for the use of the teeny tiny tiller. I hope you'll be bringing it with you next year when you visit us from Montana!

I should note that Molly and David cultivate their poo by carefully aging, monitoring and turning the piles. Here's Molly checking the temperature.



A cozy temperature of 140 degrees (taken in a newly dumped pile, not the aged connoisseur piles).



Here you can see the one-year (in the distance), two-year (middle) and three-year piles, each carefully tended and turned, not unlike fine wine.



After shoveling poo, we stopped at Duke's Alehouse for some beer and burgers. I ordered a bison burger, which was delicious, but a tad more rare than I prefer.


Gaaaa! I can't believe I ate that.

Also, since it was the daily special, I neglected to ask the price. FIFTEEN DOLLARS. For a burger. I ate (after further cooking) the other half for dinner, thereby slashing the price to $7.50. Still...good thing I got such a good deal on the Whirly popper and the poo.

Here's Joules and her ridiculously dark beer. As if a maudlin song about this shipwreck weren't enough... It makes the beer all that much darker.



Also, here's another nosegay, jus cuz, and an allium update.





This weekend will be dedicated to Farmer's Marketing, planting stuff, and perhaps a picnic or two. Lenore's feeling a little more chippper now that the transfusion has had a couple days to "settle," and she's gearing up to going back to work next week. It's not ideal timing, but apparently the powers that be at disability decided to stop paying her.

For some lively market updates, join our Facebook fan page. Just go to the Dundee Depot and Farmer's Market page and click the "like" button. Pardon the limited commercial interruption.

Later that same month...

1 comment:

  1. I loved the popcorn sample I got from Paula!

    That raw buffalo burger scares me.

    ReplyDelete