
(Hint, 4th row -- click on the photo to enlarge)
One of my facebook friends posted this class picture from first grade. How cute were we?! Amazing how many of these kids I went all the way through high school with. I have so many weird snippets of memory from this. Like the fact that my dad said Miss Skamfer had nice legs. Truth be told, I think there were a lot more dads attending the parent-teacher conferences that year. Then there's the kid to my left who went on to become a drug addicted hoodlum in high school, but I was never afraid of him, because I knew he wet his pants in first grade. And the little bastard right above me who gave me some of his crayons and then told the teacher I took them. WTF?! Paul, The adorable kid to my right said his mom (who still lives down the street from my parents) just posted: "My mom still has this "love note" I wrote to Miss Skamfer on the back of one of my homework assignments. Its funny. I guess I was going for the older chicks..." The two kids to the right of Paul were my partners in crime. We were *not* allowed to sit near each other, and we ran many scams at lunch. The girl one row above me, 2nd from the right, lived on a farm. When we were in kindergarten, we all got to visit her farm, and her effing horse bit me. However, I was the only kid who got to go into the farm house AND I got a yellow band-aid. Yellow!
This is the group shot of crossing guards, of which I was not one, but my brother was (back row, 3rd from right). Since I was not among the chosen ones, they were all my nemesis(es)! Nobody tells ME how and when to cross a street! This attitude resulted in my first and only trip to the principal's ofice, whereupon Mr. Rhodes made me cry by being so grandfatherly and kind that I was overcome with guilt. I'm not sure what the criteria was to be a crossing guard -- my brother, I can understand, because he was shaving by 5th grade, so he kind of commanded respect. But some of these kids I would not trust to guide small children across a street. I'm just sayin'.
The kid at the right end of the row above you looks like me.
ReplyDeletePlease tell me you're the one in the sailor shirt. I really, really want to tease you about it. ;-P
ReplyDeleteYou know, I was a LIEUTENANT in the crossing guard "corps." I sooOOOOoo would have recruited you to be part of our team!
ReplyDelete