9/8/11

Better Homes and Envy



Had a fun Labor Day weekend that involved putzing around the kitchen hiking and biking with Odie, kayaking with Roland and Amy, and ... eating.

Odie and I went to Lake Geneva one fine day and hiked for four hours or so on the lakefront path. It resulted, as it always does, in me having severe house envy. Not to mention garden, birdhouse, porch, and, oh yeah...fancy-ass boat envy too. What am I doing wrong?

Lots of great memories in this little spot -- this is where Nee and Bob kept their dingy, which they used to get out to the sailboat. We used to set up camp right on shore by the boats and spend the whole day there either picnicking on shore or hanging out on the sailboat. Good times.







Anyway...it was still quite pleasant. My favorite stretch is along what's called The Elgin Club, and one of the houses along there is among my favorites.



I don't need a mansion -- this one is perfect.


OK, I like this one a lot too. Cool porch and weather vane!



This was Odie's favorite. I like it too...



Also had a nice float down the Fox River -- I know I keep taking these same shots, but it's new every time!




There were lots of egrets congregating just south of the Algonquin dam. While this shot below is not all that impressive, there were at least 15 right here, and all told I'd say we saw at least 25 egrets, plus turkey vultures, great blue herons and a green heron. I'm dreading the day when they start building that Bolz Rd. bridge, because we can kiss all this wonderful wildlife goodbye, not to mention the serenity of the river. Progress sucks sometimes.


A rare decent photo of a great blue heron...


I almost forgot to post the resurrection lilies -- better known as "Wunderblumen" in my family.




Here's the last of the August nosegays, and a nosegay for my co worker Donna's birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment