
OK, how did I miss the fact that THIS weekend we're supposed to set our clocks ahead? Had I not been rudely eavesdropping in the cafeteria today, I would have missed the whole thing -- and wondered why everyone was in a different time zone than I was.
Anyway... days are getting longer, temps are rising just a smidge, and I cannot WAIT for spring. However, when hot days are upon us, that will mean no more bread baking for awhile (except for the crockpot variety). That small loss in my routine is kind of sad, so I've been a bit of baking maniac lately. I'm going to try making smaller loaves that I can vacuum seal in food saver bags for the summer. These loaves here, however, are not small, but they have since been classified as tasty. I made some more rosemary bread, dried cherry and walnut bread and also tried a modified rye bread that I was quite pleased with. I was trying to replicate the flavor of the Latvian rye bread by adding a little cider vinegar and fennel to the dough. Not bad. The test kitchen is still tweaking the recipe though.

Also, here's the second batch of popovers made with the fabulous popover pan of the gods. This time I only filled the cups about half full, and they turned out just as good and more manageable to boot.

I should add that I would not be averse to another good snowfall, because after much comparison shopping and searching, I finally settled on and purchased (after finally finding some in stock) some new cross country skis and boots (also a challenge) with the latest in fancy new bindings. They finally came in just in time for...no snow. I am itching to try them out. I hear there's still snow in WI, so, despite the aversion I do have to wasting gas, I'm seriously considering a road trip. Skis are very hard to take a picture of. Here's a stock photo I stole from Amazon. Aren't they pretty?

In cookbook news, the college library is creating an author display of employees' books, and they asked if they could include my cookbook. I was all "HECK YEAH!" cuz I figure maybe I'll sell a few more. I had to provide a book and a little write-up about why I wrote the book. So this is what I gave them. They liked it.
The Pseudo Gourmet
A Cookbook for Those Who Have No Intention of Ever
Purchasing A Garlic Press
(The Back Story)
By Paula Lauer
Admittedly, about the only thing that qualifies me to write a cookbook is the fact that I appreciate good food, and I love to eat. Hence the title! The impetus for this project was a highly disorganized collection of favorite recipes ranging from old, old family favorites (some written in fountain pen) to scribbled formulas on napkins. I had my own freelance writing business at the time, so I pitched the book idea to a design firm I was working with, figuring they could use the finished product as a holiday gift that both showcased the firm’s talents and provided something fun and memorable for their clients. And I got free graphic design and printing out of the deal. Sweet! I wrote a special flyleaf for the first printing that compared the virtues of good food with good design – quality ingredients, attention to detail, tasteful and simple … or something to that effect! I was also writing a syndicated fitness column for Copley Newspapers, so I was able to plug the book in my column, and those newspapers also ran feature stories about me, which resulted in several thousand additional sales and, believe it or not, requests for “author talks” at local libraries. Eventually, the fame and continual barrage by Paparazzi and the like got to be too much, so I hung up my apron. But copies are still available for a mere $10 – autographs are free!
Visit the Pseudo Gourmet web site for sample recipes, ordering information, and more scintillating description: http://pgourmet.blogspot.com
“Anyone who craves fast yet wholesome food (as opposed to drive-through) that sustains the soul as well as the body will find what they're looking for in these 200-plus recipes, many of which include suggestions for cutting fat and calories. The Pseudo Gourmet makes a great gift for holidays, weddings, birthdays and housewarmings!”
--Publisher’s Note
“It’s the best cookbook ever. Are you coming over for dinner?”
--Paula’s Mom
“I couldn’t put it down! Seriously, I read the whole thing, and it’s a riot. I have yet to cook anything, of course, but I’m actually inspired to try. It’s that good!”
--Jayne in Rockford
No comments:
Post a Comment