2/25/11

Pop Over for a Popover


Behold my most excellent new popover pan! Note, this is a *professional* grade pan (it says so on the cardboard wrapper thingee), and I am here to tell you, there is nothing like a professional popover to get you going. The first batch came out golden brown, soft in the middle, and quite lofty.




I had to double the batter to fill the huge cups, though, so I need to play with that a bit. I don't really see a need for gigantic popovers that are the size of your head, since they're best warm, and I already have to share a batch of normal ones lest I take on the actual shape of a popover (minus the loft).

BTW, here's the recipe in case you're too cheap to buy my cookbook (haha).
2 eggs
1 cup milk (soy milk works too)
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Whisk eggs with a fork, then add the flour, milk and salt. Mix together, disregarding lumps. Don't over mix. Batter will be fairly thin. Fill well-greased muffin tins 3/4 full if using standard muffin tin. If you use the fancy popover pan, Alton Brown and other say to just fill them 1/3 to 1/2 full. Put in a COLD oven set to 450. Bake for 30 minutes. DO NOT open the oven door, or they'll lose their poof.

Serve hot with butter, honey and jams.


Other culinary efforts included rosemary bread, chicken soup (just in time for another damn head cold) and sweet potato & chickpea stew. I know -- it sounds strange, but it's delish. Flavors in that soup included curry, cumin, and coconut milk. You know you want some.






Also, I finally posted some new faces on the face blog. I've been seeing a lot lately (am I lonely?), but I didn't have a camera handy, and now I can't remember where they all were...but I caught a few.



In movie news, Beth and I watched The Road. Wow. It was dark, pretty true to the book, and fairly riveting. Kind of makes you want to learn survival skills though. Or maybe the best way to off yourself in a pinch. We watched an episode of Glee afterwards, which was almost as cleansing as a Veggie Tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment