
The Monday after driving all the way down to Starved Rock to see the bald eagles, I saw two of them swooping over the river right at the end of my street. They were spectacular, and I wished I had had a camera. The shots I took on Saturday were not so hot, but it was still cool to see them. And cool hiking...literally, because it was colder than a cast-iron commode on the Klondike. However, with toe and hand warmers, layers and a thermos of hot tea, we were not cold and had a great time. The icy trails were a new challenge, and the frozen waterfalls (that we made it to) were awesome.

Note the guy trying to climb the wall of this canyon. He provided good scale, even if he was crazy.



Gracie enjoyed her romp through the woods, though I think we were not going fast enough for her.


We started a second hike to a 64-foot waterfall, but by then the temperature had dropped and it was getting dark, so we turned back early. Maybe next time! I liked the way the setting sun was reflecting off the the treacherous ice on the trail, though.


After hiking, we sampled some wine and a bench in the lodge.

Here are some great pictures my favorite tall co worker (and cupcake maker) took earlier in the season. Notice the ice is not quite as far down on the one below, which is Wildcat Canyon. Click any of the pictures to see them larger.

St. Louis Canyon

Tonti Canyon

LaSalle Canyon
No comments:
Post a Comment