1/2/11

1-1-11 Revisited



So technically it's 1-2-11, but the pics were from New Year's Eve and after, so I figure it counts. The birdies above were trying to stay warm (I assume) on New Year's Day since the temperature went from 50 degrees down to 20 with a windchill of about -60. Wandering around Chicago and out to Navy Pier on NYE was a new experience and a fun change from my usual NYE revelry, which usually consists of falling asleep at 12:01. The warmer weather helped too. Here are a few shots from the evening.

Beth was a much better sport about being in photos.




This family was primed to party, so I had to document them and their matching jackets. Except for the little girl. Maybe they found her along the way, I don't know, but she did not conform...and I can totally respect that.



This young woman asked if we could take a picture of her and her boyfriend, so I was all, "sure!" And I must say, I took a very fine and nicely composed photo of the happy young couple. Then she said she'd return the favor and THIS is what I got. (Click on the photo to see better.) WTH? How do you so severely blur a photo with a point-and-shoot camera? I ask you. Note, the shopping bag contains four cupcakes from Sprinkles. Chicago magazine billed them as as "crack in a box," and also my hairdresser felt pretty sure they put heroin in the cupcakes, but I have to say...meh. They were good, but not $13 worth of spectacular. (I know -- $13+ for four cupcakes, do you think they saw us coming?) They do not hold a candle to my favorite tallest co worker's vegan cupcakes, and I mean that in all sincerity.



Here are some additional views of the city just prior to one one one one. There was a talkative homeless looking guy waiting to cross the street with us who noted that channel 9 was downtown (he saw them) and had estimated (on the news that night) that there were over 11,000 people in the vicinity to celebrate. I'm not sure if that's an impressive number or not, or if the guy was just making stuff up. But at least if he's homeless, it sounds like maybe he has a TV. With cable.





This is only two of the 374 pictures I took of the water tower. This is the water tower, right? I don't even know, I just think it looks cool and I can never NOT take pictures of it when I see it.




After some pre midnight wandering, we had dinner at McCormick and Schmick's, which is apparently a very well-known seafood and steak joint, because they charge a LOT for a modest plate of food. It was very good though. I got giant sea scallops with a mushroom and sweet potato risotto and a glass of wine, which I spilled, but then the waitress, who likely wanted a good tip, topped me off, which I thought was nice.



However, I may have set my glass down a little too vigorously just prior to finishing the very last sip, because glass literally exploded in two. That was weird.



The total bill for two people who only had one glass of wine each was over $100. Just sayin'.

In 1-2-11 news, my Christmas break is drawing to a close, which makes me sigh just a little bit, because being off the whole week between Christmas and New Years really rocks, and it's so hard to go back to the old routine. I know, however, that it'll be good for me (and my bank account). That and getting back to the workout routine. Though the break was not totally slothful, as it did afford several opportunities to hike and/or snowshoe through some of our lovely wooded parcels here in the Dundee area. Said outings were often followed by a tall decaf soy misto at Starbucks.



These were taken at Raceway Woods during a very nice snowfall. Gracie (the dog), was most definitely smiling as only dogs can do.





I like this shot a lot. I think possibly Gracie had just run off into the brush though. She was loaded for Bear.




The white Christmas also gave Odie and me a chance to try out new snowshoes. His were new from last Christmas (but yet untried), and mine were brand spankin' new. Unfortunately, the bindings on mine were not so hot, so I spent a lot of time walking out of the actual snowshoes, which, I'm here to tell you, is a whole new kind of frustrating. We sent 'em back, and I got a (hopefully) better pair at L.L. Bean, which includes that unconditional guarantee, so we'll see. Of course, all the snow melted before I had a chance to try them for realz, but they seem to do well on carpeting.





In closing, this is Beth's xmas tree. Mine is small and bluely lit and Charlie Brown-like, so I did not photograph it.

No comments:

Post a Comment