
We are in the midst of a tomato inundation to be sure. Only the damn mosquitoes have been so vicious, I haven't had the courage to harvest as I should. So a lot of my grape tomatoes are fast turning into sun dried tomatoes on the vine.
Here's just a small sampling of what's rolling in.
Some were quickly turned into this lovely tomato pie, compliments of the pie shop (using my tomatoes!). I think we got the better end of the deal.
Speaking of tomatoes, this past weekend was the annual Largest Tomato Contest at the Farmer's Market (scroll way down if you click the link). Lenore entered and came in an impressive second to last. Here are the judges, Bill and Doug, carefully weighing her entry. I liked the way they took it so seriously. ;)
Other entries (Lenore's is foreground left, #10)
In other kitchen news, I finally remembered to document my crockpot bread. It's been great having fresh bread all summer without having to turn on the oven. As much as I don't want summer to end, I'm looking forward to the non easy-bake-oven method of baking again.
The last of the August nosegays...
I've still got a lot of black eyed Susan's, but they're getting a little weather beaten. Though these sunflowers seem to be getting a second wind, so I may still have bright bouquets into September.
No comments:
Post a Comment