


Don't worry, these are courtesy of the Internet. You still have time to enter and win a valuable Perky Potholder!
Lenore and I dyed our eggs early, since it was her "good" week, but they were not quite as artistic. We went for quantity over quality since it was a busy weekend. We also dyed some unboiled eggs, just for fun, and of course those were the ones I dropped (only two though).





Then we made sweet potato casserole (with an orange and a green egg), bread (with no eggs), and oatmeal cookies for my dad (with a blue egg).

In between all that kitchen activity, we ate out about 37 times, including a VFW fish fry with my mom, salads with unwieldy utensils at Thirsty Vine with Kim and Marty, and the best spaghetti I've had in a long time at Rosie O'Hare's of all places. We also had what Tommy calls "used chicken" (a.k.a. broasted chicken from Jewel) at Mom and Dad's (with mom's fabulous salad and the aforementioned bread and sweet potatoes). Needless to say, Lenore gained back a few pounds from her oatmeal and grits chemo diet.
In case anyone wants to try natural egg dye, I got this off the Care2 web site. Sounds kind of fun...you know, if you're feeling Amish.
Red
Red onion skins, use a lot (boil with eggs)
Pomegranate juice
Orange
Yellow onion skins (boil with eggs)
Yellow
Lemon or orange peel (boil with eggs)
Carrot tops (boil with eggs)
Celery seed (boil with eggs)
Ground cumin (boil with eggs)
Ground turmeric (boil with eggs)
Yellow Brown
Dill seeds (boil with eggs)
Brown
Strong coffee
Instant coffee
Black walnut shells (boil with eggs)
Yellow Green
Bright green apple peels (boil with eggs)
Green
Spinach leaves (boil with eggs)
Blue
Canned blueberries and their juice
Red cabbage leaves (boil with eggs)
Purple grape juice
Violet Blue
Violet blossoms
Red onion skins, less amount than you need to make red (boil with eggs)
Lavender
Diluted purple grape juice
Violet blossoms plus squeeze of lemon (boil with eggs)
Pink
Beets, fresh or canned
Cranberries or cranberry juice
Raspberries
Red grape juice
I almost forgot to post our St. Patty's Day dinner with Kim, Marty, Roland, and Amy. We went to a new place, Game's On, which I may or may not try again for food. It was pretty bad, but I suspect the cook had no experience with Irish food (but then why serve it?!). There were no potatoes with the (chewy!) corned beef and cabbage (though the carrots were good), and Lenore got fish and chips, but I guess the cook thought chips meant...chips, as in potato chips. Also, it was VERY loud. What's up with these places that blast the volume so loud you can't even hear yourself talk? Isn't the whole point of going out to socialize? I don't get it. Restaurants, too, have gotten really loud. Or maybe I'm just getting old. Nah.
Roland got a delicious looking martini, seen here being sampled by Amy. I was happy to learn they have Blue Moon beer on tap; my other two watering holes no longer carry it.

Yes, it was as appetizing at it looked.

We were cute though! Lenore does not like this picture, because she's all washed out, but hey, it's my blog.

Roland got shepard's pie. I don't remember if he liked it.
No comments:
Post a Comment