9/24/09

Up A Street With A Paddle


The newspaper did another story about my neighborhood's newly classified flood hazzard designation. I met the photographer in front of my house w/my knee-high wellies and my kayak. Just, you know, as a joke. But he was all for it, so this is what ran in the paper. We've gotten about 40 homeowners signed up for surveys, so we'll be able to get a discounted price of $100 (regularly $400), which the village fathers said they would then reimburse us for up to $100. If my house is above the base flood elevation, it's going to be by mere inches, if that, so I'm hopeful but not overly so. In the meantime, I've gotten to know some of my neighbors better and met some new people in the 'hood too, so there's that. We partied, watched fireworks and ate pancakes with neighbors John and Julie at Heritage Fest last weekend, and Julie confessed that she was tempted to kidnap my ghosts last year and send me ransom notes. So that's the way it is, is it?! They hang a GIANT spiderweb on their house every Halloween, so I may have to think of something clever to suspend in their web. Ideas anyone?

4 comments: