6/29/09

Cherries!

The cherry crop off of my tree this year is nowhere near as bountiful as last year's, but I managed to pick a few cherries over the weekend. I'm not even going to bother making freezer jam -- it's pretty slim pickins. However, I managed to set up a few bottles of Bounce! Should be ready in time for the holidays.

From this...


To this...


Here's the recipe again -- you can use any sour fruit. Hmmm...I wonder how rhubarb bounce would be.

About 2 cups of whole sour cherries (not pitted), rinsed
1/2 cup sugar
Vodka (the cheap stuff is fine)


Put your cherries in a jar, dump in the sugar, then pour vodka in to fill. Cover tightly and store for 4-6 months in the basement, turning jar every day or so until the sugar dissolves. When you're ready to bottle it, just pour out the infused vodka and serve in cordial glasses or over ice...or, on pancakes. The cherries will look pretty anemic by then, but they are delicious nonetheless. You can easily get drunk off of them. Trust me.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try the '09 vintage - wish we hadn't polished off the '08 for a taste comparison. cherry bounce - it's not just for breakfast anymore - or is it - it's just not for breakfast anymore? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't tell anyone, but I've till got a little bit of the '08 vintage left. I also made some rhubarb bounce, so that'll be interesting I think.

    ReplyDelete