6/18/09

The Weather was Perfect and the Pies were Square


Once the saga of the lost wallet had drawn to a close, we had a splendid long weekend starting with a visit to Madison, home of quirky streetscapes and the fabulous farmer's market. In keeping with my traveling tradition, I had to document our meal at Kabul, a favorite restaurant on the main drag that serves Afghan/Mediterranean food. The soup is FANTASTIC. Wish I knew what was in it. Then again, maybe it's best not to know.



This is Lenore's dinner.



I'm not posting mine because, frankly, it just looks gross in the photo (where's a food stylist when you need one?), but it involved chicken, curry, saffron rice and artichoke hearts. Mmmm.

We stayed at the Hotel Ruby Marie, which is a nice place (free happy hour!), good location, and possibly the worst breakfast you could imagine. Check it out. Mmmm...grease. We're not sure what that meat is...maybe rhino gizzard? Tenderized tapir penis? Best not to think about it.




A couple shots from the market. We've hit this market enough times that I feel the photos have been overdone, but I can never resist radishes and flowers.




Then it was on to Wilton, WI for biking, kayaking and eating with some other ladies from the Chicago area. It was a big meet-up that was perfectly underorganized and lacking in a schedule so as not to be exhausting. We love staying in Wilton (population around 450?), because it's right in the middle of the Elroy Sparta bike trail AND it's home to Gina's Pie's are Square, a fabulous little cafe across the street from Hardware Hank's, a wonderfully jam packed hardware/general store that makes me feel like I'm 7 again (and about to get in trouble from my dad for wandering off).

The four-room Mid-Trail Hotel. $50/night with kitchen and Amish people clattering by in their little orange triangled horse carts. How can you beat that?





This is Gina trying not to look tall.


This is just a Coke sign.



And me on the Wilton slide, circa 1971. Seriously, we had one like this on the playground at my grade school. I believe they are banned now because they lack sufficient safety features and parachutes. Also cold packs for when you burned your ass sliding down it on a hot day. How can that *not* make you feel a little nostalgic?



I can't believe I neglected to document the pie. I think we ate it too fast or were too busy doing Snoopy dances. Well, you can check out the goods at Gina's web site. The business is currently for sale for a mere $195,000 complete. Tempted? The building itself is a bargain.

After lunch (and pie), we hit the bike trail. I don't know why I persist in taking pictures of the tunnels. They're dark, they're old, and they haven't changed in the several times we've been there. But they're so neat, I can't help myself. You can click on any of these (like the sign) to see an enlargement.




This is the tunnel in which Lenore dropped her sun clip. So we walked its length three times. Someone from our group, who we didn't know was from our group at the time but helpfully lent us her bike light, spotted it just before someone was about to run it over. Phew.



It's worth noting that this tunnel is close to a mile long. And you're supposed to walk your bike through it. Emphasis on "suposed to." I recall not being able to see the light at the other end, but in this picture, you can indeed see it. It was literally raining inside the tunnel -- very drippy and cold.


After biking, we had square pizza at Gina's (it's a theme) followed by more pie, and then pizza for breakfast, then kayaking on the Kickapoo. I can't remember more perfect weather, and we seemed to have the river to ourselves. Usually you run across a drunk flotilla or two, maybe some whiney kids. This time, it was just us gals, 3 dogs and the birds. Perfection.







Kayaking was followed by...go ahead, guess. I had peach.

For the record, our hometown pie shop (what a rich life!) does not make square pies; therefore, this foray into Wisconsin piedom was not cheating. We are equal opportunity pie eaters. I wouldn't say no to a cookie either. I'm just sayin'.

4 comments:

  1. I had the peach, pecan and turtle pies. But not all in one sitting.
    Sometimes there's a fog in the longer tunnel and you cannot see the other end. Really cool.
    For more on the Mid Trail Hotel run by Sandy McDonald and husband:
    http://mid-trail-motel.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about some PIZZA pie? I'll make 'em square if you want.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I saw that slide I thought of those awful hot slide burns you mention. And there's a distinct sound that goes along with em.

    Those tunnels do look cool.

    Glad you had fun. I am sorry you had to deal with Selma/Patty down at the DMV for no reason.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say yes to square pizza, and Laura, you are right, I thought of that distinctive sound too!

    ReplyDelete