
A brief aside:
We went to see UP last weekend, and it was very enjoyable. I highly recommend seeing it in 3D, despite what reviewers have said, because not only is it visually stunning, but the Pixar short (my new favorite)seen in 3D before the main feature is worth the extra $2 bucks right there.
Overall, the movie was beyond cute and weird enough to capture my attention completely. I didn't even notice how much the cheap-ass 3D glasses were hurting my nose until the movie was almost over. The story itself was, in a word, odd. Carl's escape plan, the strange pairing of misfit boy scout with geriatric Carl, the back story and adventure...all good. But then there's Kevin the technicolor raptor, talking dogs (some who fly planes!), a mad scientist... it's like the writers had a 'shroom party and then sat down to type. But it all worked, and I'd give it four stars if anyone cared.

Pixar's gotten some praise for their unlikely heroes: a 78-year-old man and a chubby kid. But I wish they'd grow a set and give us a girl hero for a change. And, as one NPR blogger noted, not another Princess. (Nothing against princesses, but...c'mon.) Carl's wife Ellie, who we see only in flashbacks, is fantastic. I guess there's the assumption that boys aren't interested in girls until they've got boobs. But have we ever had a character to prove otherwise?
I couldn't agree more with your thoughtful analysis of Pixar's lack of female heroes. What's up with that anyway? Maybe Pixar could explore the Ellie character in another movie...she was pretty darn spunky.
ReplyDelete