4/20/09

Like Hotcakes!


I put an ad of sorts in our employee newsletter so as to built upon the Pseudo Gourmet's cult-like following that is fast developing. Do NOT get left behind! Here are two happy customers, Rose and Joe. Joe is using his (FREE!) promotional Perky Potholders to hold his books, because he said, and I quote, "these books are hot!" (Not to imply he stole them, because he didn't.)



Yes, it's official: for a limited time, you get a FREE Perky Potholder with your cookbook order. Or, if you prefer, an official Tupperware orange peeler.


In other news, I started season 1 of Ugly Betty (like it), finished season 1 of Carnivale (awesome) and made some bread (delish). We also watched a couple of movies. Here are my reviews:

W
Eh. It was a little long, but held my interest. I'm not a fan of W., but there are aspects of the film that do humanize him. However, I'm still disgusted that he was ever president or thought he was qualified for the job. The movie pretty much magnifies those reasons with semi substantiated facts that we've all heard about by now. Though I wonder if Colin Powell really did drop the F-bomb in real life. I'd like to think he did.

The Tale of Despereaux
WTF?
I'm not sure how creators can say this was based on the Newbery award-winning book, because it wasn't even close. The movie had its moments visually, but the story, if you can call it that, was a lame-ass disjointed, chaotic mess. In short, I think the animation team was on acid.

Much more entertaining was the annual hysterical society bus tour, which, despite the rain, highlighted Dundee's ancestors who went off to fight in the civil war. Basically, we rode around town in a school bus while one member narrated the tour. Along the way we picked up characters dressed in historical garb who recounted their lives during those trying times. I suppose some day I might consider riding in a bouncy yellow school bus charming, but thus far, not so much. I never liked it as a kid, and I like it even less now, especially since they added the 6-foot-high seat backs. Better is the society's cemetery tour, which entails wandering through the old cemeteries in town and "meeting" various residents of the cemetery (in costume) who are buried there. It's fun and not as creepy as it sounds.

Also, I went kayaking.


This maiden voyage of 2009 did not last long, as soon it began to rain. Lenore came and got me about a 1/2-hour into my paddle, and then the sun came out just as we were pulling back into the driveway. D'oh! Happily, we got in a nice bike ride instead.

4 comments:

  1. A Perky Potholder is far more versatile than a Tupperware Orange Peeler. Though both are very helpful in the kitchen or at your work desk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayaking looks awesome. How cold was it?

    I totally agree about Tale of Despereaux, they completed destroyed that movie up.And it could have been so good if they, gee, I don't know, STUCK TO THE STORY!! Glad I saw it at the cheap-o theater where it only cost $2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heyyy, I liked Tale of Despereaux!
    I thought that the scenery was really cool like "Mouseworld" and for some reason I really liked the narration- It was like philosophy for 6 year olds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Graeme, I agree Mouseworld was cool, but if they had no intention of following the book, maybe use a different name.

    ReplyDelete