1/8/09

Pictures from Williamsburg


If I were clever and able to create a separate picture page like Laura, I would do that. But I'm not, so happy scrolling! Below are some of the pictures I took while in Williamsburg with Lenore's family over Christmas. It was fun having everyone together in one place, and the scenery in and around Williamsburg offered many photo opps.

Within the confines of the lovely condos, there was much eating, hanging of stockings with care, presents and of course the annual Xmas competition.



This year's judges, the dynamic duo of Ben and Dennis (a.k.a. Bennis), had a tough job. Here they are with their honorary Xmas potholders, which, I might add, did NOTHING to secure a win. Not that I'm bitter. They succumbed to no bribes.



As mentioned earlier, Lenore's hair started falling out, so Lyla lent us her sewing sheers for an impromptu barbering session. Lenore needed to get good and liquored up prior to the trim.



We ventured out several times, visiting the historic district, the local outlet mall, and Yorktown. The mall was near Ye Old Hooters and Ye Old Walgreens, so it was very authentic. The historic district was very picturesque. I think I took about 900 photos of wreathes, as every door had a festive handmade wreath festooned with fruit and other thematic items. According to Lynda, though, using fruit at that time for decoration would have been deemed terribly wasteful, so it was a struggle not to make a scene over that bit of historic inaccuracy every time we saw hanging fruit.

Below is rush hour in Williamsburg, followed by several views that were pleasing to me at the time, but of course were captured inadequately via camera. (sigh) Click on any picture to see it larger.







Even the horses' tails were decorated. Merry Christm-ass?


I liked this wreath because it's purple and orange.


And I liked the shadow cast on this building.


I hung a blue ribbon on this one to make the owners feel good. (Not really.) Though I did think it would be fun to hang random blue ribbons everywhere so everybody could be a winner, not unlike T-ball, which I believe originated in Colonial times. I could be making that up.


They were waiting for a bus that never came.


I sampled this coffee when the guy wasn't looking, and it was indeed still hot!


Here are a few more shots from our trip to Yorktown. The battlefield is earily peaceful considering the magnitude of violence that took place there. I grew up walking through (and watching after-school fights in!) a historic graveyard in Dundee, but I've never walked over a site where so many died all at once.



These defensive structures -- trenches with spikey poles sticking out of the sides -- have a name, but I cannot remember what it is. I guess they must have been fairly effective at keeping the enemy at bay, because there were a lot of them. Then again, their methods of fighting were pretty lame (OK, you guys stand over there, we'll stand over here, and then well all run straight at each other and see how many are left standing! Ready, set...), so I could be wrong. The ghosts weren't telling.



On our way to the airport, we stopped to visit Laura's friend, Gail, who has many birds (including Zsa Zsa from the prior post). This is Lindsey, followed by the look Lindsey gave Lenore when Lenore wouldn't let Lindsey nibble off her plate. Lindsey grew up in a tough neighborhood, so in addition to being able to imitate Gail's alarm clock and cell phone, she could also swear like a longshoreman. I like that in a bird.

1 comment:

  1. I am not that clever. I just know how to buy the right software. Great pics!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete