
(Sorry Lynda!)
Driving to work today, the temp. was minus (that's negative) 24. I would have stayed home, but my crappy house is much colder than my cubicle at work, so I opted to brave the commute. I wore long underwear under my duds and an extra jacket under my down coat. Much as I love my Mini, the heater kind of sucks! This afternoon, it got all the way up to 7.
So far the only homestead casualty (but who knows what's waiting) has been my new sump pump setup; the pvc pipe running out of the house froze and cracked big time, so I have to have that replaced before the thaw. The river/water table is so high, the pump had been running quite a bit, and it never occurred to me that once it leaves the house, it just might freeze. Oops. I won't say where I've got the outlet directed right now, cuz it's illegal. OK, who cares, it's going to the sink!
Prior to this brutal cold snap, I was able to enjoy the lovely snow properly while Lyla made sure Lenore behaved and stayed inside. The latest outing was documented by Roland's camera in Raceway Woods. Note the snappy red cap from Lenore. It's an insulated wool winter baseball hat!


Roland got frisky on his snowshoes.

In other news, this is the garland of real hair we bought at Sally's for Lenore's hats. Mom and I sewed pieces into a few hats so no one needs to know Lenore's head looks like a ping pong ball right now. I need to take a couple of better photos.

This was prior to trimming, though I kind of like it this way.

It's not quite as red as it's appearing here. This is Lenore's snowboarder look.

Now, the best for last, check out this great article about Lynda, her passion for dragon boating, raising a splendid son, and the art of being a cancer survivor. It's good advice for everybody. Sending peace, karma and ginger cookies to Lynda as she embarks on another round of chemo starting Monday.
Quote of the day: "That's why they call it *fighting* cancer." --Tom McDonald
oh and, dude, i dig the snowboader do. may snip one for myself this round too - even if i don't lose my hair or have snow in charleston. :-)
ReplyDeleteActually, I was going to post a new song/blog title: Baby It's Cold Outside!
ReplyDeleteWe've been taking pictures of dramatic icicles hanging around town. And we each just ordered an Irish fisherman's sweater, although the river is totally frozen, so I'm not sure we can use them :)
Love the pic of the hair skirt and your mom in the background. Hope it warms up soon for you.
ReplyDelete