12/10/08

Recipe and Update


(my label)

For those who've asked about the recipe for cherry bounce...
Um...I don't remember exactly how I made it. Joules, what's the ratio?

I believe this is approximately the recipe I used. I let mine sit from July ‘til now. I don’t think it matters, just so it can sit for at least a couple months.

2 cups fresh cherries, gently rinsed
1/3 to 1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 cups vodka or whisky (or enough to cover) – the cheap stuff is fine, perhaps even better than expensive booze for this

(I don’t think I was able to use a full three cups of alcohol – I used the mason-type jars that spaghetti sauce comes in.)

Basically you put the cherries in your jar, dump the sugar over the cherries, then add enough booze to cover. I’m going to look around and double check the sugar amount. I did find out that if you drink the whole quart, it’s like 2,400 calories. ‘Course, you wouldn’t care, because you’d be drunk off your ass or maybe dead.

Do not pit the cherries. Gently shake the filled jars, and then every week or so, gently shake them to help dissolve the sugar. Eventually, all the sugar will be gone and the cherries will start to sort of shrink a little and fade in color.

Then, when it’s done, just pour the liquid into bottles. It will get better with age and keep for years. I keep the infused cherries refrigerated though.

Here’s another ratio/recipe:
4 cups sour cherries
1 quart liquor (brandy, whiskey or vodka)
1 cup sugar

Brandy bounce, I’m told, has a smoother taste.

In Lenore news, we're going to the hospital later today to check Lenore into chemo camp. She has to stay for 5 days during which time she'll be hydrated for a day, poisoned with harsh chemicals for 2-3 days, and I believe monitored for a day to make sure her kidneys and bladder haven't shriveled up into useless husks from the chemicals. All in all, it will likely suck, but, unlike at summer camp, there will be no mosquitoes and she'll have WiFi.

This go 'round, she has a port, so hopefully the needle sticks will be much less traumatic and not necessitate me getting uppity with any overly persistent needle-wielding nurses/vampires. (Sometimes we think they are one in the same.)

The crappy news is that the PET scan confirmed that there is "something" on Lenore's thyroid, which will have to be investigated during this stay, and also a small tumor or "something" (she's paying a lot of money for these medical terms) on the liver, which both doctors feel is inaccessible. The plan, as it were, is to try and shrink it (or maybe get rid of it?) with chemo and an estrogen suppressor.

TAFN (that's all for now)

3 comments:

  1. When coffee tastes awful, the port can be used for coffee/caffeine infusion. So multi-purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can have an east dundee coffee - it's like an irish coffee except made w/ cherry bounce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the bounce treatment - with luck it works as well as chemo and you have a lot more fun!

    ReplyDelete