Fortunately, I've been going to the good Dr. Weinstein since I was about 15, and his wife, along with their able technician Sarah, know me and my Libra-like tendencies. Also, they're really good at picking out frames, which helps when you're as nearsighted as I am and can't really tell what the hell you're looking at. (Though this time, Dr. plopped some disposable contacts into my peepers, which is a much more pleasant way to shop for frames because you don't have to leave nose prints on all the mirrors trying to see what you look like.)
So we narrowed it down to four frames that I like and that will also work with my Rip Van Winkle prescription. This, of course, is where I stagnated in my choosing abilities. Sarah then had the seemingly helpful suggestion that I just take the frames home over the holiday weekend (would Pearl or those other chains do this? I think not!), have some more viewings, show the family, try them in different light, with and without the wind machine, etc. In retrospect, Lenore thinks maybe she just wanted to get me the hell out of there so they could go home. ;)
Since Odie was home for his birthday, I had a captive audience at the dinner table that night. And I have to say, even Odie took great interest in comparing and contrasting the choices, though his final assessment? Not so helpful:
"Well, you don't look stupid in any of them."
No, actually, that's is helpful, because it's good to know that even if I pick the wrong ones, at least I won't look stupid.
So the evening went on...we had birthday cake...Odie opened his presents...idle chit chat commenced. And I continued to play with the frames, narrowing it down now to two. During a lull in the conversation, I put one on and commented, "I think maybe these make me look younger." To which my brother commented over his shoulder, "Yeah, we're starting to not give a shit." Another Norman Rockwell tableau shattered. Actually, I'm still laughing over this...but it hasn't helped me pick!
Fortunately, I had the brilliant idea to drag Lenore back up to the eye doctor's office in the midst of a torrential downpour so she could take pictures that I could then post here for my loyal readers to comment on! Eureka! I have Obama buttons for all who participate in this scientific fashion survey.

Frame #1
I initially liked these the best, but now I'm not so sure. They also come in a tortoise shell green, which I could order and try. But the less than perfect fit and the smaller lens size (for the grandma lenses), might be an issue.

Frame #2
I don't want to bias the judges, but I think I like this one the best. They don't make a statement or anything, but I'm not sure I want my glasses talking more than I do anyway. OR do I? I just don't know. In case you can't tell, the metal is rose colored. Not pink.

Frame #3
I'll tell you up front that I like this frame a lot, but it's got hearts on the side, which I'm pretty positive I cannot live with. Maybe a bug or, you know, a skull, but hearts? Please. The color of these is green, which I like.


Frame #4
These are a crystal blue on the inside, which looks kind of neat in the right lighting. Though we discovered that my typical surroundings don't include such lighting, so then they just look, well, beige.

Here's another view of the strongest contender.
Here's my current most-oft worn frame, pictured here with my good friend Tom Bodett.

Oh, and speaking of couture, here is my newest pair of crocs in the color that I was so happy to be able to find in my size. The fact that I love these shoes could be a concern to some when contemplating my fashion judgement. So please, comment now (just hit the comment link below this post); operators are standing by. Note, when you comment, you can just click the "anonymous" option so you don't have to sign in or anything. But then be sure to sign your post so I know who you are.
um, i feel like the chick in "the devil wears prada" - they all look the same to me. but, if it were my face i'm sure i'd be singing a different tune. :-)
ReplyDeleteI like frame 2 with the rounded bottom if you can get the bifocal version.
ReplyDeletelaura
I suggest number contestant number three. But Lynda is correct they are very much the same.
ReplyDeleteI vote for #4. I like the shape a bit better than the others - maybe there's a stronger horizontal line across the top that I find flattering. But what do I know?
ReplyDeleteAnother Laura
The Crocs match the sweater nicely.
ReplyDeleteDespite the hearts or because of them, #3 is my first choice with #4 coming in second.
ReplyDeleteYellow crocks? Ducky shoes!! You could be a mini cooper for Halloween! Good suggestion for OMPR this year.
Laurie
My vote is for frame #4. The underdog. It's a great color and the potential for camouflage is HUGE! No really, I like these the best, but they all sorta look alike.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Another Laura and Jesse on #4. Why in the heck did they put those goofy hearts on the sidepiece? Nice crocs! They look way better in your size than they would in mine.
ReplyDeletePat