5/2/08

I See Stupid People

Not really. Well, sometimes.

But I do see faces in unlikely places, a phenomenon I feared at one time was indicative of...oh, I dunno, mental illness maybe. But judging from all the Virgin Mary sightings in grilled cheese sandwiches and the like on ebay, apparently it's not all that uncommon. Apparently, it even has a name: pareidolia, which to me, sounds more like a venereal disease, but, whatever. Check out this interesting article on the subject from the NY Times.

Lenore's own house has a bit of face to it -- complete with soul patch.


And her antique radio is kind of cute too.


This was on her countertop.


I noticed this garage one day, only when I saw it, there was a big wreath leaning up against it, which gave it a round-mouthed surprised expression. I tried to recreate this expression in photoshop, but not with much luck.



It could have been the fruity tropical drink inside that made me think this pineapple was talking to me.


This poor sap saw a face in his shower curtain. Creepy!


Here's a fun gallery of faces.

This faces in places blog is great too. Click on the monthly archives to see even more -- some of them are really nice.


Here are some house faces Lenore and I have noticed around the 'hood:








OK, I think I've made my point. (!) Now for the challenge.
(dramatic pause)
Send me any "faces in places" pics you discover and you could win a potholder! I know -- it's almost too exciting, isn't it?! Once I get enough, I'll post them here for all to enjoy. The only rule is they have to be your sightings and your pictures. Now, go forth and find faces! If possible, please reduce your pics to 640x480, 72 or 180 dpi. Send to plauer at mchenry dot edu.

2 comments:

  1. hehe, I liked the Vac Attack and the [Hawaian Tiki] Haoi (I think) head.
    Those ones that were on the faces in places WS, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pareidolia here I come! I'll be keepin' my good eye trained...
    pk

    ReplyDelete