
This is the cheap tract housing my red wiggler worms are currently having to tolerate.

But soon, they will move on up...to a deluxe apartment in the sky. Well, not really the sky, probably the basement. Still...it's nicer than a take-out carton.

I did not notice the teeny baby worm when I was taking this picture! This is a good sign... The teenage unwed mothers of the projects are doing what they do best.

I'm in the process of "aging" their habitat, which consists of ripped up egg cartons and newspaper, fruit and vegetable food scraps (cabbage, carrots, apples, a hunk of cut up ginger root, onion peels, green pepper guts, and banana peel), and coffee grounds and filters, to be exact, with a light sprinkling of water (snow melt, not tap water!). Soon, maybe sooner, they will find their way into their new paradise. I hope. Right now, I'm just letting them transition on their own...by the weekend, though, Ima have to evict them from the take-out container for good.
Here's the situation right now:

Then...in good time, with any luck, the worms, which I have yet to name, will begin earning their keep by composting all this stuff to their little gizzards' content (yes, they have gizzards!), the by product of which (poop), will be used in my garden this spring.
Roland bought himself a little starter kit too (he got the deluxe model with a bin). This all took place last weekend at the 20th annual natural landscaping seminar and expo. I know -- do I know how to live or WHAT?
Happily, we also managed to get in a little cross country ski session, which was AWESOME, not only because I didn't think I'd get to ski again this season, but because the place and conditions were fine (I don't remember where it was though...Roland, what was it?), and I got to try the newly traded for boots (thank you L.L. Bean), which I do believe I will love. No blisters, no pain across the top, nice and warm, very comfy. Sweet.
Hickory Grove Highlands/Lyons Prairie & Marsh
ReplyDelete