11/23/09

Happy Thanksgiving!


Cranberry man always dresses for dinner.

Much as I eschew overly processed foods, store-bought baked goods and all the evils of trans fats, HFCS, etc., Thanksgiving is wrought with exceptions. Like stuffing. I really like Stove Top more than any from-scratch variety made with love. The stickier and gummier the better to absorb the gravy. And cranberry sauce? I do not want any of that gourmet crap with actual cranberries. It has to be from the CAN, preferably still in the shape of the can with the little lines and everything. Pumpkin pie is another one. I made one from scratch. Once. Cooked the pumpkin and all that rot. Wasn't any better than pastry made from canned pumpkin. Though I'll still make my own crust (foolproof recipe available in the Pseudo Gourmet, do you have a copy?). And I'll tell you someting else. Those pre cooked birds from Jewel? They're awesome. And no clean up. Norman Rockwell would be so proud...as long as we got him drunk first.

This year I won't have to worry about over eating cuz Odie's coming home. Hahaha. That's a little joke on account of the brother figure has what moms might refer to as a "healthy appetite." Post-meal entertainment usually entails the rest of us sitting around chatting and watching Odie eat. It's been so long since he's been able to travel, I'm rather excited about rekindling the family tradition.

Speaking of thankful, I'm thankful that Lenore sent me more pictures from Lake Lure.

And thanks to Joules for sending me a photo of her with her Perky Potholder Pumpkin Carving Contest prize! Niiiice!

2 comments:

  1. Cranberry Man is the result of leaving Lynda and Paula unsupervised for too long in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Cranberry Man! I've made Cranberry Man 2 & 3, but they haven't been as put-together as the patriarch of the line. That was a fun Thanksgiving - remember I surprised everyone and showed up in DC.
    Dinner tonight is w/ Roland and Amy - will try to get pix of food 4 u.
    happy turkey day to you too!

    ReplyDelete