10/15/09

Happy Birthday Pooh!


Actually, I'm a day late on commemorating Pooh's birthday -- it was yesterday in 1926 that the first Winnie the Pooh book was published. It's also a sad day, because I just learned that my favorite Poohologist, Peter Dennis, passed away this past April. Roland and I saw Peter perform "Bother" in Chicago many years ago, and it was truly one of the most enchanting live performances I have ever attended. I suppose my love of Pooh had something to do with it, but we really had a grand time. Roland had created a Pooh Page for me (back when having a web page was really cutting edge), and we added a special link after seeing that show. I was able to see Peter again in Woodstock, IL a few years later at the Woodstock Opera House. Prior to that show, we had corresponded via email as fellow Pooh fans, so after the show, we had a nice chat. He was a very warm person, and his interpretation of the Pooh stories and poems were the best ever.

In fact, it was news of the "sequel" to Pooh that prompted me to see why Jim Dale (the Harry Potter audio book reader and also narrator of one of my favorite shows, Pushing Daisies) was chosen over Peter to voice the audio version. That's how I came to find out Peter Dennis was gone. R.I.P. Mr. Dennis, I hope you're having a nice picnic with Alexander and Christopher after that expotition to the other side.
Wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the forest, a little boy and his Bear will always be playing.
-- closing lines in The House At Pooh Corner



Peter Dennis, Oct. 25, 1933-April 18, 2009

Read a nice synopsis of his life here.

"Pooh, promise me you won't forget about me, ever. Not even when I am a hundred."
Pooh thought for a little.
"How old shall I be then?"
"Ninety-nine."
Pooh nodded. "I promise," he said.

--The House at Pooh Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment