
These were inspired by this year's grape hyacinth crop...which, sadly, is already fading. Hence the need for purple and blue sky potholders. Lilly of the valley is now creeping across my back yard garden along with the ever-invading creeping Charlie, which I am not trying to stop because it smells so good when I mow and it's more interesting to me than grass (which doesn't grow very well under the maple tree anyhoo.)

And you never know when you might need to clarify some beer! From About.com: Creeping Charlie "...was one of the principal plants used by the early Saxons to clarify their beers, before hops had been introduced, the leaves being steeped in the hot liquor. Hence the names it has also borne; Alehoof and Tunhoof. It not only improved the flavour and keeping qualities of the beer, but rendered it clearer." Great on info, not so great on the grammar, that About.com. If that weren't enough, botanical.com reported the creeping stuff as being "diuretic, astringent, tonic and gently stimulant. Useful in kidney diseases and for indigestion." No wonder my squirrels are so robust!

Here's another glamor shot of my new bike...

I'm slowly getting it pimped out -- still need to add a computer, toe clips and perhaps a canopy with a fringe.
Lily of the valley are my favorite spring flowers but I love grape hyacinth too! They're scrappy country cousins of the delicately scented putting-on-airs regular hyacinth.
ReplyDeleteThere's just no place for snootiness in a garden, so I'll take the scrappy country cousins any day! :)
ReplyDelete