4/15/11

Duck and Cover


I know the weather can be fickle, but seriously, in what other profession can you be wrong literally 95 percent of the time and STILL COLLECT A PAYCHECK?? (Besides career politician, of course.)


My footwear readiness says a lot about the current season.

This is the time of year when one must be prepared for all kinds of weather -- often in the same day. However, I am still totally firing the weather channel, and I'm not too thrilled with network weather types either. Last weekend's preview to Armageddon is a prime example. Ever since the two unfortunate flood incidents in my basement, not to mention my neighborhood's propensity for power outages, inclement weather makes me (and I imagine others) a little, shall we say...anxious. So these weather bozos on the tube are NOT helping matters by proclaiming the impending doom with their damn "tor-con" ratings and colorful weather maps showing the entire Midwest under red alert for godknowswhat...only to have it barely SPRINKLE. Enough with the color coding and the weather terror alerts already, people!


BTW, if you google "tornado images," it’s enough to make you wet your pants. One of the guys I worked with at the radio station said he was home alone when he was a kid, and a tornado hit his house. He hid in the basement and survived. He said it really does sound like a train, and he wet his pants. But I digress. I actually set a cot up in my basement and schlepped down a box of food and extra supplies (in addition to my always-at-the-ready plastic bins of social collapse supplies), because I thought I was going to have to spend the night down there. I'm not sure what I'll do about a bathroom, since I took all the fixtures of that nature out after aforementioned flood #2 (no pun intended). I guess I'll have to share Hoops' litter box. Or just use a bucket of litter? Hmm. Anyway... Granted, it got windy. And sure, there were tornadoes ... in other states. And one might be inclined to predict rain when the temperature goes from 80 degrees to 50 in the course of six hours. But still... don't we have enough to worry about these days? Must we sensationalize EVERYTHING, even the weather? I thought the weather guy was going to have an organism right there on the television for godssakes.


Speaking of precipitation, dad and I installed this sweet new kitchen faucet. My old one (which was always a little annoying to me because the spout part was kind of short) started to drip, so I took that as a sign that I should trade up. Note the handy sprayer! It only took one extra trip to Homo Depot for a longer supply hose. And, despite my offers, my dad made the trip and paid for the hose, because even though I’m a self-sufficient grownup damn near approaching menopause, I am still his little girl. Thanks dad!


In other news, I apparently roasted some almonds at one point, because I found this picture in my camera. I believe these were done in rosemary infused oil with a sprinkling of organic dried rosemary (from my garden) and salt. I have not baked any bread lately, because ... well, I don't know why. There may be some baking activity this weekend, though, because, unlike last weekend's summer-like weather, which afforded a lovely bike ride and the first kayak trip of the season (more on that in a minute), it's going to be cold, rainy, and possibly even snowing this weekend. So I think I'll prolly finish filing my taxes, bake bread, nap and get caught up on some Netflix -- including but not limited to Megamind and the final season of Weeds. I just finished Chuck, and I'm a little sad about it. Thank goodness I've still got Dexter and Nurse Jackie in the wings.


And now a word from our sponsors. Not really. I just thought the proximity of these signs in Crapentersville was very funny. Ironical even. I'm not going to explain it, because I think that would detract from the effect. But I wonder if anyone else has wondered, as I have, if the cash for gold place is getting nonstop business from Midas. Hahaha! I crack myself up!


So. Kayaking. Beth and I took the inflatables out for what we thought would be a nice float from Algonquin down to South End. Ha. The wind was so strong, there were literally rolling, ocean-like waves and white caps on the actual river. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera. Normally the current is strong enough to allow for intermittent paddling and a good deal of floating. On this trip, we paddled our butts off and, at one point, I was actually paddling in place because the wind was so strong. So we bailed early and called my dad to come rescue us, which he did, since there were no more faucets to install. It was still a fun trip, the weather was great, and we saw three migrating pelicans riding the winds by Fox River Shores FP.

Congratulations to Odie on his 25-year anniversary with American -- they had a party for him during his 27th year. Better late than never I guess.




I myself am getting my 10-year award tonight. I’m not sure what the actual award is -- my co worker thinks maybe a watch -- but really the main draw is the free food and a chance to see administrators do the Electric Slide. Nothing like crappy overpriced chardonnay to bring out the best in people.

Like our campus police. I got a "warning ticket" a few weeks ago for not parking exactly between the lines. Really? Even our own college president bitches about how small the parking spots are. I always try to get an end spot or a spot next to the walkway, both because our spaces are REALLY narrow, and there have been times when you literally cannot even open your car door because some assbag parks too close or insists on driving a monster truck and then doesn't know how to drive it. I've seen people climb through the backs of their hatchbacks just to get into their car. And, also, I'm sick of getting dings from careless people. Yes, I'm bitter. So, I was next to a walkway and had cheated over as I am want to do, and the bastards gave me a warning ticket. Please. Should this affront to my sensibilities happen again, I will present them with this evidence of their own stellar parking job, which I've seen on numerous occasions and have henceforth been documenting.


I rest my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment