
I got a cute little cement rabbit to put on (in?) the birdbath, which resides in what I now call "the hosta garden," because it sounds classy.

Also, I got those somewhat attractive but useless things to hang on the fence. Again -- it's all about being classy, and it's hard to beat faux sculpture for that.
What's weird is, the other day I noticed there were like 5 or 6 ants running around and around on the bunny. But how the heck did they get there on that bunny island?! They were quite frantic; it was like a Lost episode for ants, only without the plane crash.

So I put a stick across the water, and I was amazed that they found this bridge within, literally, two seconds. Except for one. I think it was maybe retarded (but still better off than that dead one in the water). It was all, "WhatdoIdo?WhatdoIdo? Hey! Where'dEverybodyGo?!What'sThisStickDoingHere? WhatdoIdo?WhatdoIdo?"

Meanwhile, the other ants are all celebrating by running around and around the outside of the bird bath, probably mocking the special needs ant. Finally, Rain Man Ant made it across. But I still don't know how they got on the bunny in the first place.
The bunny was all, "Good Lord, I'm glad THAT'S over with!"

In other garden news, the tomatoes are compLETELY out of hand, and the Swiss chard is taking over. Here you can see I've tied the tomatoes up in a big tangled mess, but at least I can walk through them. The majority of my tomato plants turned out to be be bearing cherry tomatoes, which is an odd, though not entirely unwelcome surprise. Miss Labeled, party of one?

Random rock garden photo.

Here's Pooh guarding some of the chard.

Piglet's all, "It smells good here, but what's up with that crazy-ass fish?!"

I may have anthropomorphized enough now...but I can't be sure.
Lenore's co-worker, Virginia, gave us some beet seeds, so we're giving it a whirl. Here's some being borned!
Are the rabbits/ground squirrels leaving the beets alone? Last year in the garden they ate the leaves every time they started to grow!
ReplyDeleteIF this is your first planting, you may be missed.
Yes, so far, so good. Keeping fingers crossed.
ReplyDelete