(click photos to enlarge)I was getting regular visits by a skittish grey tabby cat that I thought was maybe a stray. He was always cautious about getting too close, but he looked so hopeful at the same time, so finally last weekend I gave him a little smackeral and some water, which flipped the affection switch, because now he's all about the lovin'.



Apparently a little dish of Purina was enough to prove my worthiness as a BFF, because he quickly claimed me and proceeded to climb up into my lap and purrr his approval. Hoops was not amused. He kept trying to approach the screen, but she'd have none of it. He'd just sit there looking in with this passive look on his face while she hissed and growled her disapproval.

So he contented himself with padding around the back yard with me as I gardened, occasionally taking breaks (him, not me) to snack and lounge on the swing (he likes to swing). He also buddied up to Lenore and my neighbor Julie.
He's been visiting regularly since, though we did find out he lives behind me. The lady is housing him for her daughter, who lives in Korea, so I think he's really lonely. The neighbor has a couple of obnoxious yappy dogs (there's 2 or 3 -- they don't stay still long enough to get an accurate count), and she lets him out all day while she's at work.
The latest word is he may be shelter bound if we can't find a home for him, so if you know of anyone who loves cats, he's a keeper. I think he's the most affectionate cat I've ever met. Don't get me wrong, I love Hoops and her little attitude, but this guy, he's just so gentle and sweet. He even let me clip his nails. His name is Sam. My other neighbor, Lucy, is also working on finding him a better home. Stay tuned!
i think you should have to go thru training and have a license to clip nails. i tried to clip a cat's nails 1 time - only clipped 1 nail - i really hurt her - felt horrible. she sat on the sofa and kept shaking her little paw.
ReplyDeleteAwww! I have been trained, and I'm very careful, honest.
ReplyDelete