6/22/10

Better Homes and Smoothies

Lenore and I went on a mini shopping spree the other night at Kohl's (I know -- do we live large or WHAT?). They had all their placemats and what not 50% off, so I got some new placemats, napkins and napkin rings, PLUS a dainty clock for my bathroom and some stylin' jewelry on clearance. It was almost as fun as dollar bag day at a rummage sale.



I thought these green placemats would coordinate nicely with my green dining room, (which they do!) but my delight was compounded when I noticed how nicely my smoothie coordinated with the whole ensemble. !!!! The secret ingredient? Frozen spinach.



Sunday I went kayaking w/Roland and Amy and got to try out their new spare kayak. It's nice and glidey.




Roland kayaking with his iTouch. Crazy!




We had a relaxing trip, stopping along the way to take about 97 pictures of blooming water lilies and admire the egrets, herons and a turtle. Also, a deer was drinking from the shore and then a fish jumped...it was like a freaking Hamm's Beer commercial! Here are some water lilies.





Post kayaking, I made a mad dash home in time to rinse off the river and sunscreen and head to mom and dad's for Father's Day ham and a Chicago Bandits game with Lenore and Dad.



It was the season opener, and they lost (sigh). But a guy gave us three tickets for free, and we were entertained most of the game by the fans in section 107, which included a girls' softball team and a gaggle of frothing teenage boys who seemed to all be in love with the Bandits' center fielder, Vicky Galindo. She's no Stacy May, but she's got game.

It was kind of cute -- they cheered madly no matter what she did, and their "catcalls" consisted of "I love you!" and "Are you on Facebook?!"

Here they are all lined up along the railing singing to her, "Oh Vicky you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Vicky!" (You know, to that Mickey song by Toni Basil.)



After she got switched to 2nd base (sympathetic coach perhaps), they were sad and yelled, "We miss you Vicky!" I think she was a little appalled, but we could see her shoulders shaking from laughter too. One kid yelled, "How old are you?!" and then his wise-ass friend yelled, "That was my dad, sorry!" Somebody's mom finally said, "You boys stop distracting her!" Then somebody's dad announced to the softball girls, "See, when boys act like that, don't encourage them, you have to ignore them!"

Also entertaining was this fan's sock monkey, which, my dad pointed out, looked rather obscene. I think he's right. Also, why does a grown man walk around with a sock monkey strapped to his backpack?

2 comments:

  1. i need to look into getting a pack of those boys to cheer for our grand master women's dragon boat team... oh granny you're so fine...
    i was happily reading along until the word combo spinach and smoothie - maybe it's the chemo in me but that did not settle well.
    in other news - graeme made a refreshing peach soup for dad's day dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spinach is good! Great nutrients, and it doesn't really affect the flavor at all. Frozen = safer than fresh, it's like adding frozen fruit, cool and delicious!

    ReplyDelete